Happy Birthday, Dr. King: We are All Children of Africa.

Happy Birthday, Dr. King: We are All Children of Africa.

“Through our scientific and technological genius we’ve made of this world a neighborhood. And now through our moral and ethical commitment we must make of it a brotherhood. We must all learn to live together as brothers–or we will all perish together as fools. This is the great issue facing us today. No individual can live alone; no nation can live alone. We are tied together.”

(From the Commencement Address for Oberlin College, Ohio, ‘Remaining Awake Through a Great Revolution’ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. ; Jun 1965)

The video is a musical celebration of humanity, its origins and challenges. Featuring Jacob Bronowski, Alice Roberts, Carolyn Porco, Jane Goodall, Robert Sapolsky, Neil deGrasse Tyson and David Attenborough.

10 Responses to Happy Birthday, Dr. King: We are All Children of Africa.

1. Very appropriate very classy.

Thank you Rajini.

2. Blair Warner says:

While it is well done, and very creative, we did not come from apes anymore than a pineapple comes from a peanut. We are our own species, similar to apes and other mammals, but our OWN separate species. What is presented here as fact is just a unproven theory, just a theory of people desperately trying satisfy a longing in their heart for significance. Yes, the main message celebrating our achievements, of taking care of the environment and prolonging our species, and living together in harmony, etc. is good, and should be heeded, just not all the monkey business. The field of evolution is so un-scientific in a true scientific sense. Just say’n. I am not intending to be rude…

Blair Warner , it is a common misconception among evolution deniers that people evolved from apes. No scientist ever said that. Rather, our fellow primates and hominid have a common evolutionary origin. A simple distinction, just as you and your cousin resemble each other not because one gave birth to the other, but because you share common grandparent. There is plenty of evidence for evolution, but this is not the time and place for a discussion on evolution..we are just celebrating Dr. King’s dream here. The reference to Africa is relevant because Dr. King had to fight prejudice that the African people were somehow not human enough to be given the same rights and freedom. Please don’t hijack this thread.

4. WTF, just drop it Schizoid Lawmaker Hole

5. Blair Warner says:

Rajini Rao I appreciate your reply, and don’t worry, I am not going to hijack the thread. In fact, I think I expressed my thoughts without attack or rudeness, even complimented what was worth complimenting. That was on purpose. Of course, MLK’s accomplishments and the gist of his dream are worth celebrating! The prejudices he had to overcome where wrong, and seem so ridiculous on this side of 1968!

I tried to watch your video, Campino Schlapperklang . After a couple of minutes watching some military style movements by prison inmates, I lost interest as I failed to see the connection to MLK or to the sentiments of this post. If you have a point, feel free to make it 🙂

7. Blair Warner says:

Dennis Johnson It is still just a theory, but… as Rajni mentioned, the topic of evolution is not the theme of this thread.

I don’t think you are rude at all, Blair Warner . All scientists I know will agree with your statement “we did not come from apes anymore than a pineapple comes from a peanut.” You and I both can agree that is a ridiculous statement 😉

9. I like that “We are children of Africa”. My Indian Classmates in my university used to call them derogatory names, wonder what would have happened to us without MLK’s fight for slavery.