Cabbage Spiced Rice

Cabbage Spiced Rice

A lazy weekend dish that will wait until the boys come back from their wanderings (they’d better hurry, I’m hungry!).

Cook separately, 1.5 cups of basmati rice. Inhale the floral flagrance, ahhh!

Finely chop a head of cabbage and half an onion.

Add to hot oil: black mustard seeds, white split urad dal, yellow split channa dal, roasted peanuts, dash of asafoetida powder, curry leaves, a few grains of fenugreek. When the mustard seeds turn grey and pop, and the dals release a nutty aroma, add the chopped onions and cabbage in succession. I leave green chillies whole so the wimps boys can fish them out. Stir on high heat, season with salt, a pinch of turmeric and your favorite garam masala spice mix. I used one made my mom that I have stashed away in my refrigerator.

Cover briefly until the cabbage just about cooks. Add fresh, grated coconut and a tablespoon of coconut oil for flavor. Toss in the cooked rice very gently, garnish with chopped cilantro and mint (mine are from the garden..the only herbs that are out and about this early in our spring). The mint is a variegated variety, isn’t it pretty? 🙂

The boys are not home yet. So post pix on social media and hold off consuming until they return. Bon appetit foodies!

69 Responses to Cabbage Spiced Rice

1. Kim Smith says:

OMG that looks amazing!!! #YUM

Kim Smith come on over, I don’t want to eat alone. The family has wandered off somewhere 🙂

3. Chad Haney says:

Yummy. Does your daughter fish out the chili too?

4. Kim Smith says:

What a lovely offer Rajini Rao and oh how I wish I could. 🙂

Guess you’ll have to enjoy for both of us, and somehow I don’t think that will be a problem hehe. ((hugs)) xoxo

Yes, they all do! Must have inherited mutant capsaicin receptors.

6. Jesse H says:

Hahahaha. I would be a huge wimp too when it comes to the  chilies. Sounds great though.

7. Tom Lee says:

Looks good ! Save me some too 😀

8. Rajini, it sure looks delicious and don’t forget to save some for your friends in Brazil (me, me and me) too. 😉

9. I wish you were my mommy!  ;D

This looks just wonderful … thanks for the recipe!

10. That’s food science 🙂

Susana M. , Tom Lee , Lindi Smith , Jesse H : Thanks, everyone! I would love to cook for you guys, it would be such fun. If you’re in the Baltimore area, let me know 🙂

Shaker Cherukuri , it’s an acquired taste, right? I think one should not try to compare brown rice to basmati, to begin with.

12. Kevin Clift says:

In the words of Prince “Just eat it!”

13. Jodi Kaplan says:

Send some this way!

14. Panah Rad says:

Super 🙂 Jesse H you don’t like green chillies? 🙂

15. V Swamy says:

Ohhh I feel hungry now 😦

16. Omg Rajini Rao I’m drooling! It looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe! For some reason, when I try to cook Indian food turmeric winds up everywhere except the pot! Gonna try or get on a train to Baltimore 🙂

Is it ok that I have already made masala?

Get on a train, plane or automobile and come on over everyone!  Clarissa Silva  Masala is any way you want to spice things up, right? That’s funny about the turmeric getting everywhere. I joke that anything I touch turns out tasting “Indian” 🙂

18. Hope the asafoetida powder isn’t as foetid as it sounds

19. That’s so awesome! I wish I had that talent Rajini Rao ! I know what it should taste like, yet it never does! Lol! Have a great one my dear!

I’ll let you know how it goes. It’s my favorite cuisine!

John Condliffe it is indeed smelly, an acquired taste. I hated it when I was a child. Interestingly, it’s the “vegetarian” version of garlic. Yes, I know garlic is a vegetable, but in strict Hindu households garlic is taboo apparently because it is used to flavor meat. So it turned out that I never tasted garlic until my twenties. At first I found the smell nauseating, but I do like it now (especially roasted) 🙂

21. Jodi Kaplan says:

Ha, +Clarissa Silva, the same thing happens to me–turmeric everywhere!

Haha, use only a bit..a little goes a long way with turmeric 🙂

23. 🙂 thanks Rajini Rao! Chillies 🙂 Got it  tee hee 🙂

24. I am always hungry for one of your post.

John Stroncheck I try to have food for thought – perhaps I can file this under food science? 🙂

26. I will have to think about that one:)))

27. Mary T says:

That looks and sounds so yummy, Rajini Rao ~ I love Indian food, but I think I’m a wimp and would have to pick out the chiles :-).

28. Arbi Driss says:

bonsoir ,priere de m’ecrir en Francais salut

Mara Rose I’m probably the one with the mutant capsaicin receptor anyway 😀

30. Arbi Driss says:

bonsoir votre plat est delicieu et savoureuse

Catherine Maguire sounds like a plan! Do ping me if you want any Indian spice advice 🙂 Here’s a pix of my spice cupboard and traditional spice box: http://goo.gl/Qw8n0D

32. One of the favs in our home too, minus the man of the house.  :).  Do you make the mixed vege(more like kachumber) spiced rice too? I prepare it like it was chaat, just so the veges go in for digestion without complaint 🙂

Rashmi Pahuja the man of the house is always on the menu a favorite, right? 😀 Yes, I do make pulao rice with all sorts of veggies..whatever is in the ‘fridge. Isn’t katchumber a salad/chaat dish..do you add rice to it? Sounds delicious.

P.S. Rashid Moore I put in that double entendre just for you 🙂

34. LOL! Rajini Rao That is true. 😛  Yes its a salad dish(cut up cukes, carrots, kolhrabi, raddish, tomatoes(or veges of your liking), cilantro, chilies with lime and salt to taste), you add rice to it just like if you made chaat and added Puffed Rice to it. Top it with some spicy sev or masala boondi and its quiet yummy for times when you aren’t hungry for a full fledged dinner or lunch.

35. That sounds absolutely delicious!! That is the kind of food we should all eat all the time to stay fit.

Thanks for the recipe

Thanks for the recipe, Rashmi Pahuja . Now I have something new to try 🙂

Mark Van Wormer MD all the goodness of veggies, herbs and spices 🙂

38. Ian Netto says:

This sounds like a Kichree on steroids. I bet it will taste even better eaten the next day.

Ian Netto if there’s any left  😉

40. Brent Neal says:

That dish sounds amazing. I’m going to have to try it out.

41. Sounds absolutely yummy . . . did the boys get any :=?

42. Adit Morey says:

The cabbage spiced rice looks very delicious and yummy. The recipe has also been nicely explained. But I have a question – what is a variegated mint?

43. Shiv Manas says:

Very yummy, Rajini Rao. Haven’t had this dish in years. My Mum used to make something similar, but we added lemon juice instead of coconut oil. I’ll try making this at home next weekend for a change. 🙂 (I’ll probably also add dried red chillies to the tadka).

Adit Morey It means it’s a hybrid (mutated?) variety – the leaves usually have different colored edges or patterns, like white or yellow.

44. Ahmed Salah says:

Is it Indian meal?

Adit Morey sorry I missed your question about the mint. As Shiv Manas Dass said, variegated plants have lighter colors, like cream, mixed in with the green in their leaves. They are more ornamental, but tend to be weaker and “revert” back to the plain green type, probably because the plain green ones are more efficient in photosynthesis and better protected from harmful rays of the sun (did you see how I managed to insert some genetics into a food post?!).

Shiv Manas Dass the dried red chillies would be a perfect and traditional addition to flavoring the hot oil. Lemon rice is my favorite..I love making it for picnics or summer events.

Oksana Szulhan eventually the boys did return home and appreciated that lunch was ready 🙂

47. nibu rg says:

mouthwatering……………..

48. Adit Morey says:

It’s perfectly alright proff. Rajini Rao . Actually, your post appeared yesterday in my G+ stream but I commented today as it was very late yesterday. I asked the said question today only but instead of “a question” the phrase “one question” should hsve been used. It was a silly grammatical mistake. :-p

Thank you for the explanation of variegated plants. You explained an example of genetics at work in a very nice way.:)

I also thank Shiv Manas Dass for his explanation.:)

What a lucky mom!! That’s awesome, thanks for the update Ara Kooser . Give her my best if you have a chance 🙂

50. Billy Bass says:

Yummy could eat it right now……

51. Nice dish….. Help yourself…..enjoy your meal dear 😉

52. Tim Utzig says:

This sounds sooo good. Thanks for sharing the instructions.

Thanks, Tim Utzig . Hope you try it, or a version of it! 🙂

54. K Patel says:

I love cabbage spiced rice

55. BHARAT MUDRA says:

‼रोजगार सूचना ‼

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

➖🏠 अब घर बैठे अपने एंड्रॉयड स्मार्टफोन से रोज 1 से 2 घंटा ONLINE WORK करें और कमाए हजारो रूपये।

➖✴ भारत सरकार से मान्यता प्राप्त और Ministry Of Corporate Affairs में अप्प्रूव्ड ONLINE ADVERTISING WORK

➖✴ एक JOB जो आपकी ज़िंदगी को बदल कर रख देगा।

➖💰 इस WORK से आप 5000 to 30000 रू/ Month तक कमा सकते है।

➖🅰 इसमें कोई खर्चा नहीं है।

➖🅱इसमें टाइमिंग का कोई प्रॉब्लम नहीं है।

➖⏰ सबसे बड़ी बात इसमें आप 15 दिन तक काम करके देख सकते हैं आपको खुद एहसास होगा की हमने एक बेहतरीन Online Job को ज्वाइन किया है।

➖👫 जो भी भाई बहन इस ऑनलाइन जॉब को JOIN करना चाहता है वे अपने मोo के Google play store मे Type करे Champcash Money free और Download करे,

➖✴ 1- App को ओपन करके “Sign Up With Champcash” पर Click करके अपना Details भरे।

➖▪- नाम

➖▪- ईमेल आईडी

➖‌▪- कोई भी एक पासवर्ड जो याद रहे,

➖▪- डेट अॉफ बर्थ,

➖▪- व्हाट्सअप मोबाइल नंबर “ही डालें”

➖✴ 2- Refer of SPONSOR Id में ➖11134347➖डालिये। इसे खाली कागज पर लिख ले जरूरत पड़ेगी

➖✴ 3- अब कम्पनी के द्वारा आपको Challenge मे आपको कुछ apps मिलेगा जिसे अपनी मो० मे install करना है और इस तरह आप Champcash के active member बन जायेंगे,

➖✴ 4- (7-8) apps install ka Challenge पूरा करते ही कम्पनी आपको 1$ = 62रु का बोनस अमाउंट देती है, और आगे Champcash में Work करके अनलिमिटेड रूपये कमा सकते है।

➖✴ 5- shoping pe v comisson wo v 7th level tak.

➖REFER OF SPONSOR ID