Celebrating Stephen Hawking. Physicist Stephen Hawking was not well enough to attend his 70th birthday celebration today. Hawking has Lou Gehrig’s or motor neuron disease, diagnosed when he was 21. Known for his work on black holes and his best selling books ( Brief History of Time , The Universe in a Nutshell ), Hawking has also made some remarkable statements through the years.
Huffington Post’s new Science section lists a few of his memorable quotes:
• People who boast about their IQ are losers.
• My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
• I don’t think the human race will survive the next thousand years, unless we spread into space. There are too many accidents that can befall life on a single planet. But I’m an optimist. We will reach out to the stars.
• I think computer viruses should count as life … I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We’ve created life in our own image.
• We are so insignificant that I can’t believe the whole universe exists for our benefit. That would be like saying that you would disappear if I closed my eyes.
• We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.
• What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide how the universe began. This doesn’t prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary.
For #ScienceSunday curated by Allison Sekuler and Robby Bowles .