Happy 176th Birthday Mark Twain!

Happy 176th Birthday Mark Twain! American author and humorist Mark Twain was born in Missouri on this day, 1835. The Google Doodle pays tribute to his two best loved books: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Here are some of my favorite Twain quotes:

• There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

• Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

• I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

• Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but a cabbage with a college education.

• Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn’t.

• The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause.

• In the laboratory there are no fustian ranks, no brummagem aristocracies; the domain of Science is a republic,and all its citizens are brothers and equals, its princes of Monaco and its stonemasons of Cromarty meeting, barren of man-made gauds and meretricious decorations, upon the one majestic level!

• Herschel removed the speckled tent-roof from the world and exposed the immeasurable deeps of space, dim-flecked with fleets of colossal suns sailing their billion-leagued remoteness.

Do you have a favorite Mark Twain quote? There are so many. Share yours here!

24 Responses to Happy 176th Birthday Mark Twain!

1. Nice post Rajini …thanks 🙂

2. Love it, thanks Rajina

3. I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.

Mark Twain

4. Marian Wirth says:

Here’s a happy birthday to one of the most competitive quote misattributees 😀

5. Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain

Marian Wirth , As Abraham Lincoln said, “Fake quotes born on the internet are totes lame” 😀

7. Are they fake or are they just attributed to the wrong source? Rajini Rao Frankly it does not bother me very much. If the quotation provides wisdom, food for thought, or a smidgen of wit and humor, that is the criteria I seek.

Terry Hallett , the Twain quotes page I saw linked back to citations of specific literature..but I don’t doubt there will be errors on the internet, LOL! Got to agree with you, what is said is more important than who said what 🙂

9. Marian Wirth says:

Rajini Rao Well, Winston Churchill told me that it was actually a Liz Taylor quote 😛

OMG, it’s been Piked by Kosso K !

11. Goodle publication ,Raoodle… ( :

Konstantin Makov , that was so funny, I have a BIG smile 🙂 Did you know that today is the anniversary of Pink Floyd’s release of The Wall? Just a suggestion in case you want to incorporate it into one of your awesome posts!

13. Rajini Rao

i was born in 1978, so ,of course, i remember this release…Thank You for the exact date. Have gone

to think about incorporation… ( :

14. p.s. Mark Twain is one of my favorit…

Shah Auckburaully , and here is cute little Elijah Wood as Huck Finn (pre-Frodo!) : Young Elijah Wood as Adolphis/Huck Finn

16. OMGRajini Rao its hilarious

Thank you, and no I missed that one flying by

Terry Hallett , can we officially make piked a verb now?

18. Marian Wirth says:

Rajini Rao I just did. That equals official use. t-364 until it appears in the dictionaries.

19. Rajini Rao most certainly my friend 🙂

Hi Vijaya Chaturvedi , how have you been? Poor Cincinnati! 🙂

Vijaya Chaturvedi , bring Rishi to check out JHU and come see us!