Blueberries, lemons and a mother’s kiss in spring…

Blueberries, lemons and a mother’s kiss in spring…

My muffins are really made from all these things (with apologies to Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood). When my daughter announced excitedly that she found her favorite Maryland Utz potato chips in a specialty store in Northampton, Massachusetts, my heart died a little. One more tenuous thread to tie her back home now frayed. But there are only so many vegan cutlets a girl can stomach at the campus dining hall, so she came home for Thanksgiving. That’s when we made these divine blueberry lemon muffins.

My inspiration: Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood-Summer Wine

Recipe: https://madamescientist.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/blueberries-lemons-and-a-mother-kissing-spring/

24 Responses to Blueberries, lemons and a mother’s kiss in spring…

1. Those look yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe 🙂 Must try it at some point!

Buddhini Samarasinghe , thanks! Baking in the kitchen = experimenting at the lab bench 🙂

3. Her trip to N’Hampton was better than mine. I was there a couple of years ago and I got a nasty case of swine flu. I don’t know how I made it back home to Hanover. It was horrible! I will never return to N’Hampton, ever..in any case, your muffins win by default, Rajini 😉

Oh no, Gerardo Gambirazzio , do return sometime to erase those bad memories! Noho has been voted best little town in America. The restaurants are awesome (as are the five colleges).

5. Rajini Rao Yes! I always think baking is very technical, just like setting up a PCR. Except you can’t eat the PCR when it’s finished 😀 (or lick the eppendorfs that you made the PCR mix in!)

6. I spent the day at Amherst College, so I did get to see a bit of the area before disaster struck. I liked the town.

7. They look delicious, thanks for sharing! Being a food chemist I have made the kitchen my laboratory, so one more experiment to try out!

Siromi Samarasinghe , thanks..same here! Although I worry less about reproducibility and proper notebook etiquette in the home laboratory 🙂

9. Mark Hogan says:

These look great ! I may even dabble in the kitchen

10. Peying Fong says:

Definitely inspiring, Rajini. I must try these. Blueberry is awesome but adding lemon will lift it to a higher level. Yes, the technique of not mixing the batter to smoothness is critical; if mixed to homogeneity, the muffins will develop the dreaded “tunnels” which preclude formation of a nice tender crumb.

My favorite form of baked experiment takes the form of traditional Madeleines–i.e. no leavening except the air whisked into the custard (into which the flour later is quickly incorporated). The method is interesting. The recipe in The Joy of Cooking is the best. I made these years ago as a grad student in SF and the French great-aunt of a good friend validated their authenticity. At that time I did not care–I just liked how they tasted–very rich flavor with a moist and delicate texture.

Yes, there are fancy ones with all sorts of exotic flavorings these days, but disappointingly these recipes do not follow the traditional method and the products are little more than yellow cake flavored with whatever you decided to add that day. They do not have the rich, buttery crumb characteristic of the real thing. I think whoever came up with those recipes ate too many of the commercial, packaged sort available in France, which are leavened with baking powder and do not have the same texture as a result.

11. Rahul Joshi says:

That is one beautiful sepia pic.

Thanks, Rahul Joshi ..it took only one click to imbue a feeling of nostalgia into a modern picture 🙂

Peying Fong , let’s bake some traditional Madeleines when you visit next!

14. Rahul Joshi says:

Rajini Rao Ah, such the magic of photoshopping! 🙂

15. Peying Fong says:

deal! Or you will have to visit the Little Apple again!

16. I want to help myself loose weight and get stronger bones. I want to know also the usefulness of ginger into the body.