Norwegian Terje Isungest is an ice musician.

Norwegian Terje Isungest is an ice musician. He’s held concerts at a frozen waterfall, glaciers and ice caves. Some of his challenges: Every time he plays on ice, it sounds different. An ice horn may last 50 performances, or only one. The colder the temperature, the more high and low frequencies he can generate. And of course, “You have to move all the time, because if you stop, you will just freeze”.

9 Responses to Norwegian Terje Isungest is an ice musician.

1. Matt Kuenzel says:

Amazing! I’m wondering how much of the instruments are made from ice … for instance, the strings on that harp.

Yes, I noticed the strings too. But apart from that, I think everything else is made of ice. Talk about cool music 🙂

Glauco Ulcigrai , I think you and I are creatures of the sun!

4. Tom Lee says:

Rajini Rao

Even with traditional instruments there are other factors that would change the frequencies generated, hence the sounds and tones. That’s why all instruments have to be tuned before playing, whether it’s a piano, guitar, .etc…I would suspect if the temperature is not changed much then the frequencies/sounds should be close, but never perfect. A good musician can detect the change in the sound. Again this is an experiment and a new creation. I woundn’t expect a precise piece music from the ice instrument. Don’t think they can cover CCR or Pink Floyd music from ice instruments at all 🙂

Tom Lee , no covers for PF or CCR from this, true. So what shall I listen to, next? Do you like ELP?

6. Tom Lee says:

Rajini Rao I do like ELP to a point. Their organist pumps out some fantastic tunes . I like their number on “Jerusalem” for their organ playing, and “C’est la vie” for the acoustic guitar chords. For classic rock I’d prefer the music a little noisier than that. May be you should put Queen up next to your 12 speaker car stereo system. 🙂 How about turning up the volume on Bohemian Rhapsody ?

Tom Lee , Well, ELP was progressive rock and sneered at by critics for being pretentious. Not that their fans cared. As for my car stereo, it was built for Queen 😀

8. Joan Hogol says:

If you like ELP maybe you’ll like this too…

Cairo- Ruins at Avalon’s Gate (Part 1)

Hogol Lenimar i Keskener , a 90’s progressive rock group from SF, how interesting! I caught a couple minutes and they are eerily like ELP, Hammond organ and all. I’ll check them out after work today, thanks very much -and let you know how I rate them 🙂